The Baldwyn News earned 10 first-place awards in this year’s Mississippi Press Association Better Newspaper Contest.
Biloxi – The Baldwyn News has garnered 23 awards, including placing third in the General Excellence category in its division in this year’s Mississippi Press Association Better Newspaper Contest. This is the most awards ever received in a year by The News, and it marks the second time in three years The News has placed in General Excellence.
The News earned 10 first-place awards in the contest for work produced in 2018. This year’s entries were judged by members of the Kansas Press Association.
“We are the second-smallest weekly newspaper member of the Mississippi Press Association in a small town, and for our staff size and resources, to compete against papers in larger communities with more staff members and still be considered one of the best weekly newspapers in this state is just astounding,” Publisher Jason Collum said. “This may sound odd, but I think I’m more proud of the third-place showing in General Excellence than I am of any of our first-place awards. The General Excellence nod is an overall look at our paper, and it says we’re doing a lot of things right. And we couldn’t do it without the support of our fellow businesses in the community supporting us with advertising revenue, and without our readers continuing to place value in our contributions to the community.”
Among first-place awards, The News’ Baldwyn Community & Life magazine was honored as the best special section in its division, competing with newspapers up to 2,500 in circulation. It’s the second time the magazine received first place; it received the same honor for its inaugural edition in 2015.
Other first-place awards this year included:
- General News, Demi Roberts, for a story on Public Service Commissioner Brandon Presley and broadband service;
- Planned Series, Brenda Daher and Collum, for a series of stories on local businesses and their owners in Baldwyn Community & Life magazine;
- Spot News photo, Collum, for a photograph of the morning-after scene where a Prentiss County Electric lineman was killed;
- Sports Feature Photo, Collum, for “Race Car Driving Momma”
- Personality Portrait, Collum, for a photo of Baldwyn’s Police K-9, Chase;
- Sports page, staff
- Lede paragraph (story introduction), Collum
- Front page design, Collum
- Overall design, staff
Additionally, contributing writer Clark Richey earned third-place honors and Daher second-place honors in the General Interest Column category.
The News received 12 second- and third-place awards in other writing and photography categories for 2018. This brings the total of awards earned in the last five years to 76.